[CAUT] Student fees

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:17:01 +0100

Hi Eric

I think my first <<worry>> would be this developing into the only
funding for piano maintainance a university has. You know
administrators... they are almost as bad as politicians. This is like
one of those surcharge taxes.. you know... like the gas tax that is
supposed to be earmarked for building and maintaining roads.  Very easy
for these to end up being tapped for other uses, and if your salary is
dependant on it as well then.... well you know what the word squeeze
means, and if you dont you will :) Then too... students who have <<paid
their dues>> as it were may (or may not) feel more at liberty to
...ah... shall we say ... "overuse"  instruments. They may even begin to
question why the local tech hasnt kept their favorite instrument in
exactly the shape they want it.

Ok... so I am a bit of the pesimistic here... but my experience is that
there is at least one ying for every yang of an idea... sometimes more,
and its a good idea to try and figure as many of them out ahead of time
before jumping into the pool.  I mean... who knows what might be
swimming around in there :)

My own feeling is that one simply has to hold the line and insist that
institution funders understand that it actually does cost money to
maintain a piano park.  There are certain realites in this world that
are inescapable in the end.  It costs at least a dollar ninty nine to
buy a slab of chared meat on a peice of dry bread trying to pass for a
burger. Bottom line.  Ketchup costs extra

Cheers
RicB