[CAUT] Student fees

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:46:39 -0600

Having read these posts about piano replacement I'm curious, how big a
part of these programs is piano rebuilding?  In our inventory of 46
grand pianos 35 of them are Steinways, 7 are Yamahas, 3 are Baldwins, 1
is a Mason & Hamlin.  While I'd like to replace the Baldwins, and the
future will tell us what to do with the Yamahas, the rest I'd like to
just keep and rebuild.  So far the rebuilds have come up better than the
new with Steinways.

This past year we did buy 4 new Steinways trading off 3 Baldwins
(netting a 1 piano increase).  Two of the new pianos went into practice
rooms.  Logic would say that students would rush to the new ones first
and that the rooms with the new ones would be the most heavily used.
I've not found that to be the case.  Since we can rebuild what we have
for just a fraction of the cost of trading I plan to emphasize that
route over the new purchases.

Does anyone else plan something similar?

dave

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Anne Garee
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 7:44 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Student fees

Alan,
Our dean just instituted such a fee, which took him almost 12 years to
pull
off.  It was a Florida Legislature item and was implemented this past
August.  Our music students are assessed $90.00 each per semester which
goes
specifically to "instruments".   This includes yearly piano purchases.
Although there were grumblings among the students, it will become very
clear
how effective this new fee really is when they encounter the new pianos
that
arrive each year. Our dean's research also showed that our fee is quite
modest compared to other music schools that assess upwards of $300.00
per
student per semester. Our administrators are committed to piano
replacement
as the main mission for the funds.  It has been publicly announced as
such
and labelled "instrument fee" to reinforce the goal.
Anne Garee
School of Music
Florida State University