[CAUT] Student fees

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:58:07 -0500

On Monday, December 13, 2004, at 03:34 PM, Alan McCoy wrote:

> If you have student fees for these purposes:
>
> 1. How much is the fee? How much is allocated for piano maintenance?
> Piano
> purchases?
>
> 2. Who pays the fee? Music majors only? Minors too? Ed majors?

Hi Alan,
What little funding I get is from recital fees.  Every student pays a
recital fee - something like $40 or $50.  All that money goes into my
account.  I'm not sure exactly how much I get a year, but its somewhere
in the $2K range.  My dean set up my account so that it can roll over
from year to year and build up.    But this type of account costs me an
extra 8% every time funds are moved out of the account. I'd been
letting it just build up over the last few years and it got up to about
$10K this year before I started ordering parts.

Probably not exactly what you were looking for, but if not for this, my
budget for maintaining a $3 million inventory would be a big goose egg.
  Luckily, we have a relatively new inventory, average age of about 17
years or something like that, thanks to a major purchase of 77 pianos
in 1995 (they sold off the older pianos then - though I sort of wish
they'd not sold the rebuildable grands).  So, at this point, I'm mainly
concerned with rebuilding the 35 year old Steinways, at least up until
the new ones start needing new parts.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina