[CAUT] # of dampers on a D

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:34:40 -0600

I believe in improving pianos in the rebuild process but I can't imagine
why less dampers on a "D" would be an improvement.  I think more dampers
on a "B" would be an improvement but not fewer.

dave

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 8:13 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] # of dampers on a D

I'll concur that Steinway D's have an appropriate number of dampers, and
note that if one wanted to modify one for the stated purpose, the most
efficient and reversible procedure would be to raise the wire in the top
flange (accelerate lift), rather than remove felt or heads. You could
even
do a fancy job so the top one was clear with pedal at rest, and the next
two
or three were "just touching" to increasing degrees, feathering in the
effect. The kind of thing one does subtly over the whole range of the
dampers for top concert work (lift of treble slightly ahead of bass in a
smooth transition), but accelerated for the last few.
    But not something I'd do as a matter of course. And leaving the tray
and/or guide-rail short of the standard number is beyond the pale, IMO.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico