[CAUT] # of dampers on a D

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:04:57 -0700

On 12/17/04 7:13 AM, "Fred Sturm" <fssturm@unm.edu> wrote:

> if one wanted to modify one for the stated purpose, the most
> efficient and reversible procedure would be to raise the wire in the top
> flange (accelerate lift), rather than remove felt or heads. You could even
> do a fancy job so the top one was clear with pedal at rest, and the next two
> or three were "just touching" to increasing degrees, feathering in the
> effect. The kind of thing one does subtly over the whole range of the
> dampers for top concert work (lift of treble slightly ahead of bass in a
> smooth transition), but accelerated for the last few.

    It occurred to me that a simpler and more easily reversible procedure
would be to shim: either under the lift tray felt, or attach pieces of
appropriate thickness front rail punching to the bottom of underlevers with
"re-stickable" glue stick. So if you had a customer who was complaining
about the break, you could do this and see if they liked it better, then rip
it out in a couple seconds if they didn't.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico