[CAUT] Restringing treble

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:56:54 +0100

A440A@aol.com wrote:

>What I wonder is why such a localized effect of losing a string?  Cast iron
>is pretty stiff, and if losing a string allows the plate to relax, wouldn't it
>affect more than just the two notes on either side?  I have measured
>soundboard drop under tension, and it isn't uncommon to see them drop .050" when the
>piano is chipped to pitch.  Some more (such as the Chickerings with the inner
>rim), some less (Steinways and Baldwins), but there is still a lot of movement
>up and down.
>Regards,

I'll agree that this is a confusing one.... and I dont really see that
any of the explainations I've heard through the years are really
satisfactory.  But then it would help if I knew the physics of the
different parts that may or may not be involved better then I do, I'll
grant that.

This said... I kind of tend to aggree that the 75 cent rise in C5
mentioned in the origional post of this thread probably has
significantly to do with the plate. Most likely both the soundboard and
plate are involved and perhaps some things we havent really thought about.

Cheers
RicB