[CAUT] Restringing treble

Gary Mushlin garym@PIANOSERVICE.BIZ
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:06:35 -0600

It seems to me that the following may  prove this theory.

The next time you experience a broken string, measure the pitch change
on adjacent strings/notes. Then press down on the bridge about 7 lb.
worth. If there is no effect on the pitch on these adjacent strings,
you will know it is not the downbearing change on the bridge causing
the pitch change. After the new string is installed, check the adjacent
strings again.

Do you think this will prove the point? I've not done this, but I will
do this the next time the situation occurs. This has been enlightening,
because I've always heard that pitch change takes place due to the
change in downbearing on the bridge and soundboard.

Sincerely,
Gary Mushlin, RPT