Client database

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:39:08 -0500

Hello Jeff,

JT> Hi all,
JT> I have some questions about client management software.  Since I have a
JT> fairly small private clientele, it isn't worth spending a fortune on
JT> database software, so we're trying to keep this as cheap as possible.
JT> My wife is trying to set something up so that she can help me manage my
JT> private customers (I am a terrible secretary).  I've been using index
JT> cards so far, but there's no way for me to put all the information I
JT> know about a customer on index cards that she would need.  We have
JT> Microsoft Access which was a part of the software already installed on
JT> our computer, and she also has Publisher '97, which interfaces somehow
JT> with Access, in doing mailing labels, etc.

JT> Neither of us are computer gurus, and she is much more familiar with
JT> the PC softwares, while I am more familiar with the Macintosh softwares
JT> on this computer at the school.

JT> Are any of you using Access, and if so have you developed a client
JT> record template you are satisfied with?

Based on the parameters you describe, using Access is like going
squirrel hunting with a cannon.

Count this as the THIRD recommendation for Time and Chaos. The program
is small, bullet-proof, and inexpensive.

There are also separate modules available that permit synchs with
either the Palm or iPaq handhelds. There is no port to the Mac
platform, however.

T&C is too often dismissed as a viable client management system. It
has become obvious to me that this is because people do not take the
time to explore the features and power that lurks just below the
otherwise simple interface.

--
Regards,
 Jim                            mailto:harvey@greenwood.net