Touch weight

Becker, Lawrence (beckerlr) BECKERLR@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:13:57 -0500

Isaac-

Since the ingredients of Protek CLP are a proprietary secret, it takes away
a lot of discussion potential.

My experience with it is that if NO other lubricants have been added to a
bushing, CLP will free it up if the friction is mainly caused by corrosion
(verdigris, etc), and that a second application on the bushing after a
return of friction will keep the bushing free much longer.  And on untreated
bushing cloth, it seems to help keep bushings less susceptible to humidity
swings.  If a bushing has already been lubricated with something else,
however, the results are not at all predictable (by me).

My observation is that many US techs grumble about the price, then buy some
anyway, because it's worth having in the tool chest.

Lawrence Becker, RPT
Piano Technician
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati

-----Original Message-----
From: Isaac sur Noos [mailto:oleg-i@noos.fr]
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 5:59 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: Touch weight

In my experience Protek CLP make some bushings very sluggish or even
blocking after some time.

Have no correlation between the kind of bushings (Renner most probably )
that produce these results on a regular basis.

The lists being mostly driven by US techs and Protek being an Us product
widely used, nobody seem to answer to these questions most probably because
of the political correct attitude on the lists (is not it guys ?)

So let me say that is how I understand your silence on that matter (strange
as you're generally willing to talk on any product/process used)

Happy Christmas to all.

Isaac OLEG