Polishing keytops

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:24:50 EST

<<  bone, and it's all filed and sanded flat on a belt sander using the
finest grit I can obtain, 230.  I then hand sand with 400 & 600 wet and dry, then
1600micron paper.  >>

I have never gone to the 1600 grit with ivory, bone may need it, I dunno.

   I file them flat with a piece of 220 wet or dry taped to a glass plate and
lubed with alcohol. It takes about 10 strokes to get the entire keytop flat.
Then I go to the 400 and 600 with the same procedure, after which it takes no
more than 5 or 10 seconds on the hard felt wheel to get them as far as ivory
will polish.  I turn it around 450 rpm and am careful not to generate too much
heat.
   It is also worth the time to touch the wheel with that block of abrasive
after every key.
good luck,
Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">