Touch Weight

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:01:16 -0700

Nice summing up, David! I think what you describe should be within the
capabilities of anyone who is replacing hammers on a quality grand. And
certainly that should include any caut.
	In cases where "original weight" hammers are available, and reliably so,
reproducing original conditions is no problem. But hammer weights are all
over the place. There are a lot more options available to us now, but it
takes a lot of knowledge to select an appropriate set, and even then there
is no guarantee, unless one has the budget and/or time to have many sets
available. In any case, it is necessary to know how much weight to remove
from whatever set you have (tapering and tailing) to get good results. So
you have to have the basic abilities David describes to come up with good
results.
	I would add that an action rebuilder should also have knowledge and
experience to use (if needed) wipp's with assist springs (with accompanying
adjustments), and possibly to do minor capstan movement. This is not
extraordinarily complex stuff - though you do have to be on the ball and
skilled in precise work. But again, that _should_ describe any caut. at
least on a good day, ;-).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Saturday, January 3, 2004 9:56 PM -0800 David Love