MOI Measuring Device

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:15:31 -0500

Mark Davidson, Ed Sutton, and Richard Brekne talked about a device to
measure key and action MOI.  Fellows, I need to tell you:  I already have
it.  It does not separate the MOI from other critical parameters you need
to know, but it does measure what you need to know most - in the action,
just as the action happens to be at the time.  I have had some version of
it for more than 20 years, but I have kept making little changes and
improvements now and then, debating with myself whether to patent or
publish.  The current version is the third completely new design.

Well, I'm not getting any younger.  Pursuant to this series of discussions,
I have now decided to publish.  Whether or not to patent, I'll have a
limited amount of time after the article comes out to decide.  I don't know
what Bob's line-up of JOURNAL articles is, but I will make this my next
submission.  I think all of you will find it interesting.  The device is
calibrated, and not something you can easily make in your own shops, but I
will make it available if there is any demand for it.  Beyond that, I'll
make no further remarks, so you will just have to wait until it comes out
in print.  I have an article coming out in two parts in the March and April
JOURNALs, so I suppose it will be some time after that, if Bob decides to
publish it.  At any rate, I will step out of this discussion for the time
being, and go to work on the article.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis