Keys and MOI - wipp assist

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:56:51 -0500

Fred Sturm wrote:
The issue is whether these two means of reducing mass as
> measured at the key have an effect at all levels of acceleration.

Fred,

Think about it this way; with the springs, what you put into them is
what you get out. When the key comes back up after a note is played the
spring is loaded. When you push the key down the energy is released. You
store potential energy and you release it. It has the same effect at all
dynamic levels.

I think of helper springs as the same thing as balance weight except it
is a negative quantity. Let's say we have an action with a wip spring.
it is set up so there is a balance weight of 45 gm when the spring is
not attached. When the spring is attached the balance weight goes down
to 35 gm. The force that just begins to move the key will be:

45*980gm/sec^2 - 10*908gm/sec^2

After this force is applied to the key any additional force used to move
the action will answer to the the inertia of the rotating parts
(assuming there is no friction or other factors).

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979