Keys and MOI - wipp assist

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:00:02 +0100

Fred Sturm wrote:

> Or so I surmise. I guess it
> comes down to, "Does the heavier hammer compensated for by the wipp assist
> feel heavier on faster/louder blows? Same question with magnets
> substituted?"

No, that is to say at some point over mf play the MOI is that which is
<<heavy>>. This basic picture is the same no matter what counterbalance
scheme you use, lead, springs, MBA, or my own MLA.

> And how does one calculate what effect forces like these have
> on weights and levers and inertia?

They have no effect on inertia per se, as inertia has to do with a
things mass.  It directly effects weight as it applies a given force to
the system. In calculating the effect you need to take into
consideration just how "stiff" the spring or magnet force is, and how
constant it is through the key stroke. This has been up before and no
one so far has put any real numbers or formulas out as far as I know...
tho its a good one to get down for sure.

Cheers
RicB