Keys and MOI - wipp assist

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:24:01 +0100

John Hartman wrote:

> Richard Brekne wrote:
> > John Hartman wrote:
>
> >>45*980gm/sec^2 - 10*908gm/sec^2
>
> Sorry,
>
> It should be:
>
> 45gm*980cm/sec^2 - 10gm*980cm/sec^2
>
> Which is the force (balance weight times gravity) needed to put the
> action into equilibrium (assuming no friction as usual).
>
> John Hartman RPT

Grin... figured as much... tho its best to be sure. Thanks John. Hadnt
really thought of BW in these terms until the other day when you brought
up that perspective.

One question tho... I suppose it would be easy to think that the above
implies that any movement of the key means accelerating the key mass
front of the balance rail pin faster then 980cm/sec^2... which I dont
think is what we mean. And that I think is also central to Freds
question about how assists (of any sort) change overall MOI and how the
finger senses that.

In all this we need to remember that whatever the MOI contribution of
the key mass forward of the balance rail pin is, it aids (in gradual
decreasing degree) the finger until that mass exceeds an accelleration
of 9.8m/sec^2.

The key mass at the finger will reach that accelleration rate much
sooner then the key mass at the midpoint between the balance rail pin
and key front... which of course leads into that whole discussion about
lead placement and MOI. We are left with two considerations then... how
much counterbalancing in general AND how much key inertia from key front
mass we are to employ. Stephen Birketts contribution a while back is
well worth a re-read for anyone following this thread, and I think goes
a long ways to answering Freds question.

Cheers
RicB