Keys and MOI - wipp assist

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:37:40 -0700

	I haven't really been putting my question quite clearly enough, I don't
think. Let me try from a different perspective.
	We have a (relatively) balanced system, each side having mass. The mass is
acted on by gravity, hence there is an accelerating force at play on both
sides. Additional force is needed in front to overcome the gravitational
force exerted on the higher mass (leveraged) of the back. In a sense, the
force exerted by gravity, and the force applied by finger or spring or
magnet can be looked at as equivalent.
	On the other hand, the mass on both sides of the fulcrum has inertia,
which can be measured in terms of moi. I think that one way of looking at
this inertia is to call it resistance to force, or resistance to
acceleration. It will require force to set the system into motion, and the
acceleration will be limited by a balance between force applied and moi.
	In terms of accelerating an action to make musical tone, the gravitational
forces at play are insufficient to reach adequate velocity for more than a
piano blow, because gravity is directly connected to distance. The force
exerted by springs or by magnets is not distance connected. Hence, it can
aid in acceleration to velocities exceeding that of gravitational fall.
	So, in the dynamic process, would not a force of this sort, present in the
system at all times, have some effect on the perception of inertia, as it
aids not only in counterbalancing gravity, but also in accelerating to a
higher velocity?
	Maybe not, and maybe this is an insignificant quibble brought on by too
many quick tunings for our All-State festival that starts tomorrow (huff,
puff). But I guess I'm not entirely convinced that springs and magnets (as
currently used in pianos) are equivalent to negative gravity - the
reciprocal of mass. It seems to me that there might be additional
considerations.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 8:56 PM -0500 John Hartman