Touch Weight

Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:09:06 -0800

I agree that knowing how and how far to move the capstan can be very
useful, and it's not that difficult.  I think the best way for determining
placement is with a Stanwood style platform that allows you to locate the
capstan uniformly by measured key ratio, placing a ten gram weight on the
back of the key and reading off the digital scale for the desired target.
Measure the end keys (naturals) of each section and draw a line.  You can
make a dummy capstan arrangement with a small block of wood and a shortened
capstan that can be moved around in order to determine proper placement.
But I think this goes slightly beyond the initial inquiry about a simple
way to tackle action problems.  Nevertheless, it should ultimately be part
of the arsenal.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Hartman's