Keys and MOI - wipp assist

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:40:26 -0600

Hi Ric:

No, I think John is just converting mass to force on earth.  You have to
multiply grams by the acceleration of gravity to get the force they exert
downward on earth (the "weight").  It doesn't have anything to do with the
acceleration of the object by outside forces.

W = m * g

where W is weight, m is mass and g is the acceleration of gravity.

It's common for folks to confuse weight with mass.  They are really two
different things.  Grams are mass, not force.  The units that John shows

g-cm/s^2

are actually units of force, believe it or not.  Usually this would be
converted to "dynes"

1 dyne = 1 g-cm/s^2

"But hold on, Gilmore, what is this 'dyne' nonsense?"  Well, since F = ma,
force actually has units of mass times acceleration, or
mass-times-distance-per-time-squared.  So that we don't have to write out
these big units, a hybrid unit was created.  John has elected to use cgs
(centimeter-gram-second) units, which are used mainly in theoretical physics
and chemistry.  The unit of force in this system is the "dyne".  The unit of
energy would be the "erg", which is a dyne-cm.

In all of my posts I use the more common MKS system (meter-kilogram-second),
which is used in all branches of engineering.  The unit of force in the MKS
system is the "newton"

1 N = 1 kg-m/s^2

And energy is in units of a "joule", which is a N-m.  There are 100,000
dynes in a newton, so they are very, very small.  The MKS system is used
because it relates better to all the other areas of engineering.  Volts and
Amperes, for example, are MKS units (volts can actually be expressed in
meters, kilograms, seconds and coulombs).

If using the English system, distance is in feet, mass is in slugs and time
is in seconds.

1 pound = 1 lb = 1 slug-ft/s^2

English energy is in ft-lbs (there is no hybrid unit).

Hope this helps!

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City