Keys and MOI - wipp assist

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:26:04 -0500

Thanks Don,

We Piano technicians are used to measuring in grams and centimeters. It
is, as you said, somewhat awkward to use kilograms and meters instead
but I think you are right in directing us in this direction.

Some of us have been measuring the MOI of various action parts.
Naturally we have been using gcs. For grand keys I have been getting
about 10,000 20,000 gmcm^2. I assume I would divide these by 1,000,000
to covert to kgm^2? So the new numbers would be .01 to .02 kgm^2. Please
let me know if this is right.

Don, you are an invaluable resource for this list.

John

!Warning: this e-mail has not been edited for correct spelling or
grammar  and may not meet the high standards expected elsewhere on the
internet!

Don A. Gilmore wrote:

> You can use dynes (cgs) if you want to; there's certainly nothing wrong with
> it.  But I personally would use newtons (MKS) for several reasons.
>
> 1.  They are a more manageable size.  You won't end up with a lot of five-
> or six-digit numbers to deal with.
>
> 2.  They are more universal.  If our discussions ever branch into other
> areas of physics like pressure, power, viscosity, or electrical/magnetic
> units you will be glad we stuck to MKS.
>
> 3.  They are much more common.  MKS is the definitive system in use for the
> vast majority of engineering and scientific work in the world.  When you
> look up tables in books, you will find that cgs units are relatively scarce.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979