Touchweight

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:55:20 -0500

>What your system DOES allow for is a
>very systematic quantification of exactly the static parameters that
>result in a given Balance Weight, which in turn allows us to place our
>cumulative expereriences in that perspective. But in the end, you base
>your recommendations for strikeweight to strikeweight ratio matching on
>subjective analysis of experience. The apparent shift in matching
>reccommendations since the release of your Smart Chart a few years back
>underlines this.
>RicB

Cheers to you Richard,

You are referring to a briefly released version of the Smart Chart which
had recommended SW lines for various Ratio levels that, with a given BW,
will not exceed a recommended max Front Weight.  I discontinued that for
the very fact that it's not that cut and dry, black and white, etc.
Quantitative analysis, plus qualitative analysis and cumulative experience
is what works.  Do the metrology analysis, look over regulation, action set
up, timing, voicing, listen to what the pianist(s) says and feels, play the
piano yourself, then make changes relative to all that information.
Experience will tell pretty accurately what kind of a relative change to
expect by changing the Strike Weight Ratio by say 0.5, or the front weight
level by say 10g, or the friction level by say 5g, etc.  Like cooking you
have to taste the soup and make adjustments to the recipe!  It's difficult
to make it all an exact science because art and human subjectivity are so
integral to the whole thing of pianos.  Try we always will to have better
control over the results of our work...

Onward and Upward!

David Stanwood