dilemma

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:07:36 +0100

Always a kinky situation Wim. A few words if I may. First off... this
doesnt necessarily reflect on you whatsoever. It could say much more
about the Department head then it does you. Its pretty usual in our
buisness to see administrators and owners feel like they need some "out
of town" expert to fly in from Gambia :) when dealing with a prized or
expensive instrument.

The thing to do is to try and remove yourself from any "defensive"
position... both <<politically>> and in your own personal thinking about
the situation. Try and assess fairly as possible the whats and whys of
the fellows reasoning and turn whatever happens into your advantage.

If you feel the head is leaning towards an "expert opinion", then
perhaps enthusiastically suggesting a particular trusted associate who
you know IS indeed an appropriate choice (regardless of whether you
could handle the job or not) and take the opportunity to work on the job
together, whilst impressing the administration with your abilities to
also solve problems in concert with other technicians.... a kind of
<<general contractors>> ability if you get my meaning.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers
RicB