Monochord

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:21:19 -0600

I wondered about the two strings, also.

At 10:05 AM 1/22/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>At 09:56 AM 1/22/04, you wrote:
>>The problem right now is that one
>>of the 2 strings is missing.
>
>Pythagoras had the same problem with his model... hence the
>name.             :)

But from a Google search I did, I found this:

      The monochord has been created in Sweden in 1829 for accompaniment of
spiritual singing.
Probably through the Lutheran parochial schools, monochord has got to the
Latvian peasants,
and they have begun to play on it, to make it and to improve it (the same
instrument, but with
two strings has been developed).

    Monochord consists of a long, rectangular body, stuck or hammered
together from wooden plates.
In the upper plate the sound holes are cut and a stepped rod (neck) is
attached, on which a string
(or two) is put.

and from a different site:

In order the better to seize the relation. of various intervals,
a second string tuned to the same note, but out of reach of
the bridge, was sometimes added to give the fundamental.

>Regards,
>
>Alan B. Crane,  RPT
>School of Music
>Wichita State University