Monochord

fssturm@unm.edu fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:47:25 -0700

Hi Avery,
	I have a "monochord" with three strings, salvaged from the physics
department. It has a measurement scale under the strings, tension gauges
with hooks that a tail tied in the wire would attach to. Bridges were
missing, so I had to make a couple.
	It actually doesn't matter one little bit what wire you put on. Whatever
wire it is, you will bring it to a reasonable tension (somewhere below
breaking point, tense enough so it sounds good). Unless a particular pitch
is called for, any music wire will do, including harpsichord. The only
constraint I can see is the strength of construction - would it hold up to
piano wire pulled to an adequate tension to produce musical sounding tone?
I put a fairly thick brass wire (harpsichord) on mine, and that worked pretty well. I
assume the purpose is to demonstrate intervals and partials as ratios of
string length, and such. As long as it makes a loud enough sound to be
heard, just about anything will do - even nylon (as in guitar string). You
could use fishing line, probably, if wire didn't seem to work well for some
reason.
Regards
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Thursday, January 22, 2004 9:56 AM -0600 Avery Todd <
atodd@UH.EDU>