Capo bars

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:55:40 -0600

I have done both as well. I agree "one" of the many types of available bronze wires works much better than steel.

Del

Can I ask which one?

And how about a diameter?

I actually have a 1963 Baldwin L ready to tear down, with the intent of "replacing" the "jumbo-radiused" capo with one of hardened steel. (my attempt to mimick the benefits Ron Overs reaps from 'hardening' capos)

I can't imagine why bronze though? (and I'm asking from a point of ignorance, not studied opinion)

Will the string (harder than bronze) not imbed almost immediately into the rod, similar to one of those tiny 1mm radius that have been discussed, or is this what you intend?

Don Rose mentioned Young-Chang's friction problems with "one" type of bronze. As a result, didn't they abandon the insert capo-rod altogether, or did they come up with a alternate/successful alloy?

With a polished/hardened steel rod, I would dream of the problems Ron Overs describes; termination surfaces so "slick" that strings won't hold their space. All other factors considered though (front duplex scale, termination angles, etc.) no noise, and no rendering problems.

Yes? No?

Thanks BTW for reviving this discussion.

I want to do this capo replacement thing, and will be pleased to share my results with the class.
Thanks for allowing me to benefit from your experience; Del and all others.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University