wurzen/Ronsons

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 06:27:00 EDT

Richard,
As with any set of hammers on any given piano, you'll have to proceed
cautiously as to finding how the Wurzen hammers will work with each and every
piano.  The thing that I have noticed on all of the sets is the starting  point of
voicing was at a much more advanced state than any type of hammer I've  worked
with so far.
In fact, these hammers immediately bring out some nuances in each piano
which you swear were never there before. In other words, you have a lot to work
with right out of the box.
After a nice, but conservative hammer filing, the tone grows. After some
light shoulder voicing, that much better.
 I have not had to add lacquer in the bass, but I did do a light  shoulder
lacquering in the top 1 1/2 octaves on all sets.
As with any set of hammers, there is a break in time, and I'm still  learning
how these are going to behave. I eager to go back after several hundred  hrs.
of play and make note of the changes. From the looks of the design of the
felt, it looks like these hammers are the real deal. They behave and sound as
close to the turn of the century Steinway hammers as you can get. And look how
well those hammers matured over a century of play. Pretty impressive.
Tom Servinsky