Loose tuning hammer tip

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 05 May 2004 19:06:32 -0500

>Any suggestions on how to keep a tuning tip from constantly working
>loose?  I just started using an extension hammer after 23 years with a
>one-piece
>Yamaha hammer.   The extension is GREAT, and I've wrapped it with cork
>tape from a bicycle shop, to pad the handle.  Only problem is the tip
>keeps
>working itself loose throughout the day.    I guess I want to be able to
>remove it if the need arises, or I would  have epoxied it together.....

Take the extension rod out, put it in a bench vise, heat the tip head to a
couple of hundred degrees with a heat gun or torch, and crank it down on
the rod REAL solid. Then, buy or make a second extension rod for if the
need arises. If you continue tightening a loose head on the rod, it will
eventually chew the threads up to where you can't get it off anyway. Just
as well make it official.

Ron N