Loose tuning hammer tip

Thu, 06 May 2004 05:41:37 -0500

At 18:30 5/5/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>Any suggestions on how to keep a tuning tip from constantly working
>loose?  I just started using an extension hammer after 23 years with a
>one-piece
>Yamaha hammer.   The extension is GREAT, and I've wrapped it with cork
>tape from a bicycle shop, to pad the handle.  Only problem is the tip
>keeps
>working itself loose throughout the day.    I guess I want to be able to
>remove it if the need arises, or I would  have epoxied it together.....
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>Best regards,
>Brad Smith

Brad, et al,

I'm a little confused (as usual...).  Which joint is getting loose?

Tip/head or head/shaft?

Rightly or wrongly,  I think of the tip as being the part which interfaces
with the pin and the head as that which screws onto the shaft.  There are,
of course, one piece tips which combine tip and head and one piece hammers
which combine tip/head/shaft. I have (and occasionally use) all
permutations including t-handles.

I usually use an extension handle and have a choice of 4 head/tip in my kit
(#1, 2 angles of #2 and a thin-wall #2). With my MO, I _definitely_ do not
want to permanently attach heads to shafts.

Of the four, two are two piece tip/head and I've used them for years
without them getting loose.  No chemicals, just friction. Am I just
lucky?  As I recall, all I did was use that tip wrench.  Position the
wrench at about a 30° angle back toward the handle, place the wrench on
floor or workbench and crank down firmly on the handle.

Yes, I have been able to remove and replace the tips later...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice