Loose tuning hammer tip

Lwellerrpt@aol.com Lwellerrpt@aol.com
Fri, 7 May 2004 02:01:47 EDT

Hi All-

So we've read some really great ideas for fixing a problem that was caused by
a "machinist" way back when tuning hammers were first made with changeable
heads.  This is so typical of what we have to react to on pianos all the time.

A tapered thread isn't supposed to bottom out.  Therefore our tuning tips
should have the hole drilled all the way through to fit tightly.

OR

If we want to have a nice round tuning tip with a bottom to the hole, the
thread should be straight and not tapered.

So who's up for replacing all their tuning heads and shafts?  Not me, at
least not now.  I'm gonna try the Teflon tape idea.

Lisa Weller