an easy fix? (blind) humidifier filling

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Mon, 10 May 2004 11:04:25 -0600

Hi Mark,

I see what you're saying.

I forgot to add that our students fill twice per week, blinking lights
only. That way there is never more than 4 days that a light should
blink. It should be safe that long. My understanding is that the sensor
should be at the 1/2 way mark; iow, starts blinking at one container
left/one gone mark. (Holds 2, no?)

Keith tells me that dampchaser has a beeping signal you can install.
(Fill 'til it beeps) Sounds like potential havoc to me... ("My piano is
beeping and I can't shut it off..." :-)

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Mark Cramer
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 10:43 AM
To: ed440@mindspring.com; College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: an easy fix? (blind) humidifier filling

Right Ed,

with almost 70 humidifiers to service Jim, chasing blinking lites
(filling
on demand) isn't practical.

However, having students top-up all pianos on an assigned weekly basis
works
really well;

Low-water lights rarely come on, and if they do, it triggers a follow-up
on
my part.

Prior to (grand) bottom-covers, students would pre-check levels
manually, by
reaching into the tank. With bottom-covers though, this is impractical
and
from a wear & tear perspective, not desireable.

For similar reasons, (probably discussed previously) we've removed
filler
tubes from all verticals, and the students are very happy to check
levels
and water directly into the tank.

Working with assistants can be a challenge. Often someone else's idea of
thoroughness and/or consistancy differs from our own.

I really depend on help from these students, and they've done a
remarkable
job, reporting malfuntions, un-plugged systems etc.

If I can solve this one issue though, it will make their job all the
easier.

Yup, even Ed's slightly wacky idea's worth a look!  :>)

best regards,
Mark Cramer
Brandon University

BTW, thanks for your personal thoughts and help on knuckle bolstering
Jim,
and Ed for sending me regulating instructions for the Bluthner Patent
Action!