humidifier filling-solution

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon, 10 May 2004 15:28:18 -0500

thanks for all the help guys!

Meanwhile, I've tried several things at this end:

1.) Test-filled some (more) tanks

2.) Taken some measurements

3.) Confirmed my findings with Becky Baldwin at Dampp-Chaser

Here's what I've resolved:

Students were over-filling 'some' tanks because the filler tubes had been
extended too deeply into the tanks.

As a result, when filled to capacity (1" below tank-rim), the water would
siphon back into the pitcher, or simply run out the hose.

Furthermore, no tell-tale "trickling" sound could be heard when filling,
because (even though the LWL was blinking), the end of the filler hose was
still submerged.

After playing around with this (and yes, it is embarrasingly simple) the
following seems true:

1.) If the water level is below the end of the filler hose, a "trickling"
sound can be (sufficiently) heard until the water reaches pretty near the
top of the 1" angled slit.

2.) If you continue to pour above this level, the "trickling" sound stops,
and when you lower the pitcher, the surplus water will likely flow back into
the pitcher, but only until the level drops below the slit in the hose (it
begins to draw air, and the siphoning action stops).

Bottom line:

For fall, I'll ensure all filler hoses extend to the correct depth, and will
be able to give the assistants very clear instructions on filling, without
any manual or visual inspection of water levels,... bottom-covers or not!
:>)

(No need for a high-water alarm)

Thanks again everyone for "chewing" on this problem with me. If things are
similar in your various situations you probably have a back-log of problems
from the school year you've simply had no time to contemplate, much less
solve, no matter how simple. I'm relieved to check this one off the list.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University