easy fix !! -- (Visual) humidifier

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 11 May 2004 12:10:47 -0500

It is a great idea Dan, and I'm glad you've proven it over time!.

Discussing this awhile back, I wondered if you were installing these riser
tubes on the outside of the piano, but see from this post you are not.

The missing item then, is the bottom-cover, which would need to be
detached/re-attached (in our case weekly) in order to inspect the guage.

It's not that students couldn't do this, the issue is that bottom-covers are
made of fine cloth (of necessity) for which there is currently no durable
means of attachment/re-attachment.

(some are currently stapling the velcro tabs to the cloth, though I believe
Fred Sturm has developed an alternate fastening method)

So the issue that initially sent us on this "hunt" was the concern
"bottom-covers" would not hold up to the wear & tear of under-the-piano
inspections.

What I think I've "woken-up" to Dan, the key words being "I think," is that
inspecting the water level (before watering) may be totally unnecessary, for
any grand-system, bottom-cover or not.

The "telltale" indicators of "empty, how-empty and full" are all there
automatically, no guages required.

So perhaps I could encourage a few of you to test me on this. It will only
take a few minutes, and I'll really appreciate the correction if I'm
mistaken:

1.) Simply connect a "full" pitcher to a piano whose LWL is NOT blinking,
and begin to pour:

If "trickling" is heard, keep pouring, you KNOW you have capacity.
2.) When the "trickling" sound stops, stop pouring:

Water has reached the upper-end of the hose slit; your "high-water limit"
(full capacity)

If you want to know how much water the tank needed, simply see what's left
in the pitcher. (our assistants report average consumption weekly by e-mail,
allowing us to forecast trends, and adjust the watering interval as
necessary).

If you're curious as to whether the tank is actually full, reach into it and
check the level with your finger. (the water level should/will almost reach
the upper end of the angled slit in the hose) YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO DO
THIS AGAIN!

If no "trickling" was heard, simply stop pouring, lower the pitcher and
allow any surplus water to return.

BTW, I'm not saying manual inspection and indeed the LWL aren't necessary,
in fact they are an essential back-up, even in a "scheduled" watering plan.

(If I find a blinking light, I immediate check the tank level, then go on a
room-to-room hunt for others, and the assistants "hear about it!")

But for the moment, it looks like I've found the solution I was after;
pianos can be watered to schedule without waiting for a blinking light,
without crawling under the piano, without detaching the bottom cover and
without reaching into the tank, and that is a vast improvement over the
previous method.

May I hear back from a few of you on this?

thanks, and best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University