Journal Articles

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 31 May 2004 09:02:13 -0600

--On Sunday, May 30, 2004 10:38 PM +0200 Richard Brekne
<Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> wrote:

> Over to Jim Hudsons article tho... Dont you think a whole 3 mm letoff is
> a bit overkill on the safe side ?  Where do you generally like letoff and
> drop yourself, and why ?
>
> Interesting to find so much variance in this seemingly simple point.
> Cheers
> RicB

	I can understand and easily accept a more conservative approach to letoff
than my own. But are any of you really advocating 3 mm (=1/8") letoff in
grands? And in concert grands in particular? Seriously? Are you really
contending you ever need that much of a safety margin?
	I find this hard to believe, regardless of extreme seasonal changes. 1.5 -
2 mm / 1/16" is plenty of margin for any grand in my experience, and in the
opinions of every manufacturer I am aware of. A caveat being condition of
the regulation button felt. If every, say, quarter turn of the button
produces the same change in letoff distance, the felt is in good shape. If
it doesn't, you need to address that problem, and regulating close letoff
without addressing that problem is quite risky (how would I know that?) If
there are even moderate dimples in the felt, iron or sand and iron. Ditto
for fuzzy felt: iron it. I guess knuckle condition and a few other factors
that aren't coming to mind instantly would also come into play, but one
assumes that one has dealt with all those when working with a concert
instrument, yes?
	Personally, I am convinced that close letoff is one of the most basic
elements of good concert regulation, taken in conjunction with voicing that
is even and has a good gradiant. The rest of regulation is based on that
fine letoff (drop, aftertouch, check, etc are adjusted to match). It isn't
just a matter of ability to get pppp without the risk of the note failing
to speak (though that is important). It's fine control of melodic lines,
and, particularly, fine control of the relative prominence of individual
tones played simultaneously. The fine muscular coordination required to
make, say, all voices of a four part WTC fugue sound as individual lines is
helped enormously by that final 0.5 mm closer to the string (ie, 1.5 mm as
opposed to 2 mm, or 1 mm as opposed to 1.5). I think most really
accomplished pianists rely on the ability to make fine adjustments to
acceleration of the key/hammer during the entire keystroke, and
particularly during the very last portion - where drop screw and letoff
button have been contacted.
	At any rate, I am happy to go on record anywhere stating that 3 mm is
utterly unacceptable as a standard for letoff on a concert instrument. I
can think of no circumstances that would justify such a standard. I can see
room for argument as you get to the range of 1 to 2 mm, and less than 1 mm,
though possible, is definitely risky.
	But 3 mm? Seriously?
Regards,
Fred Sturm