[CAUT] Knabe Grand

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:07:41 EDT

=20
Avery
  The college I work for has one circa 1920 ish. How can I help?
   Dale

List,

Would anyone happen to have a suggestion on where I might  be able to find=20
someone to duplicate/repair a badly messed up pedal lyre  on an old Knabe=20
grand, app. 6'3"? I
sent an e-mail to a tech friend of  mine in this general area but I don't=20
know if
he'll have the time to do  it, so in the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyo=
ne
had any other  suggestions.

I was working with the pedals and suddenly, the whole  bottom of it broke=20
and/or
came loose. It's obviously been worked on  before, not very well. I'm not a=20
good
enough woodworker to do this one,  so any suggestions would be welcome. Even
replacing it.

The one  pictured in the Schaff catalogue "might" be adaptable but the =20
measurements
are somewhat different.

Theirs: 21=BC" high, 13=BD"  wide @ top, 10" wide @ pedals.
Mine:   23"  high, 12"   wide @ top, 8=BD" wide @ pedals.

There is a little flaring out in the  design on the Knabe, so there would=20
probably
be room to "cheat" a  little. It would be nice to have an exact duplicate bu=
t=20
seriously doubt  that's possible. Unless someone can duplicate some of the =20
parts.

Actually, I just took another look and realized that the  only thing that=20
would
have to be done is to duplicate the two tapered  "legs" between the pedal=20
box and
the top and drill out and replace the  old dowels that join the two.

I'll probably be putting this on the  pianotech list tonight when I get=20
home, so
I apologize in advance to  any of you who will end up getting two of these =20
posts.

Thanks.

Avery