[CAUT] Bid specs on rebuild

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:37:08 -0500

Hey Wim,
I'll have input as to who the bids are sent to.  The Department Chair =
and myself will have final say so in who receives the bid.  We bid out =
our first one a year and half ago and one of the rebuilders I wanted to =
get it did receive the job and did an excellent job.  Dr. Lambert trusts =
my judgment in this, in fact, he emailed me to check over the specs and =
list of bidders who will be contacted before it goes out.

Good to hear from you!  Congrats on the recent superior evaluation.  =
Although, knowing your expertise, I would expect nothing less!
Joy!
Elwood
Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT
Piano Technician/Technical Director
Department of Music
145 Fine Arts Building
University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, TN  38238
731-881-1852
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 9:17 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Bid specs on rebuild

  In a message dated 10/15/2004 8:03:29 PM Central Standard Time, =
edoss@utm.edu writes:
    Hey Guys,
    We are preparing to bid out the complete rebuild of two Steinway Bs. =
 I have put together a bid spec sheet but was wondering if any of you =
had one you could attach to use as comparison?  I don't think I left =
anything out, but don't want to be too specific either.  Any help would =
be much appreciated.  BTW, I'm all for sending them out on bid for these =
rebuilds.
    Joy!
    Elwood
  Elwood
  It's understandable that you need to send out bids, but who will make =
the final decision as to who gets to do the work, you, with the know how =
on evaluating the bid, or the bean counters, who only look at the bottom =
line? Also, will you have any input as to who gets to submit the bids in =
the first place, or, again, is the purchasing department just picking =
names from the phone book?

  Wim=20
  Willem Blees, RPT
  Piano Technician