[CAUT] Moving capstans

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:56:43 +0100

Hi Alan

To begin with, you can not use the Stanwood balance formula for this,
not directly anyways. That formula is based on measuring a several
weight quantities and one ratio quantity first.

The nett effect of a knuckle move is somewhat dependant on the ratios of
both the whippen and key, but generally speaking you get about a 3-4
gram change for a mm movement. Moving towards the hammer of course
decreases the weight, and away from the hammer yeilds an increase.

The nett effect of a capstan move is dependant on the existing key ratio
itself... but a 1 mm move results in somewhat less then a grams change
either way as a general rule.

The thing is you are dependant on knowing the exact ratio of each part
and the action as a whole to do directly what you want. Since you are
relying on distances this means taking into account all the relavant
angles of the parts with the action in the position of equilibruim.
(BW).  If you know all these.. then you can accuratly calculate exactly
what a given move yeilds in terms of a BW change. But this is not the
easiest of things measure on the bench which is probably half the reason
Stanwood came up with his alternative.

Cheers
RicB