[CAUT] Moving capstans

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:56:35 +0100

Alan McCoy wrote:

>Thanks everyone for the ideas. Looks like it's time to experiment. I
>actually have Nick's geometry software but haven't used it for awhile
>because I like Stanwood's methods. Using weight instead of distance seems
>more direct and easier (and probably more accurate).
>
>Alan

Well... if its Balance Weight you are after.. then Stanwoods approach is
the way to go. Thats what he measures. But prediciting what results from
moveing the capstan.. tough with Stanwood... However... there is an
empirical way of going about this that Jon Page related to me when I
first started picking Stanwood apart. He contrived a temporary <<loose>>
capstan which he could move forwards and backwards on the keystick,
measureing the result at differeing positions. Jon used this trick in to
accomplish a slightly different goal... but no reason why you cant apply
it thus. A similar device could be contrived for simulating moves of the
knuckle.

Cheers
RicB