[CAUT] Re: Teaching Piano Tuning

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:46:07 EST

In a message dated 10/31/04 2:54:42 PM Central Standard Time,
claviers@nxs.net writes:

Wim,

I agree in part with what you say.  However, you imply that it's  our fault
that more young people aren't studying piano service, and that's  where I
disagree.  I think it's driven more by supply and  demand.  I'm finding too
many who want a quick-fix.  They just  don't want to do the study and
practice that it takes for what they believe  they will earn in the end.
Jim

If it sounded like I was placing the fault on our feet, then I stand
corrected. What I was trying to convey was that perhaps we should educate the  young
people on the need to get educated, that piano technology is not something
into which someone goes as an after thought. That there are schools, and courses
 of study to follow, and most important, a tremendous amount of continuous
education is the norm, not ht exception.

The trend is in favor of better and more expensive pianos, with  electronic
keyboards replacing the low-end stuff.  Compared to the  population, I think
the number of total pianos is down, but the average  quality is up.  I grant
you, this doesn't seem to explain the  slack-off of people going into piano
technology.  The trends seem to  be out of phase, but I think some of that
is normal.
As per my article several years ago, there will always be a demand for, and
a supply of, low end pianos. Yes, the number of new units sold is way down to
what it was even 10 years ago. But I think part of that reason is the
continuation of pianos in the market. I don't know how many pianos have been  made
over the last 125 years, but not enough of them are being thrown away, so  that
the demand for new units is finally starting to catch up. With all those
units out there, there will always be a demand for piano technicians to take
care of them

I see plenty of young people going into piano technology, but  too few who
are serious about really learning it.  Too many just want  to "get by", and
that bothers me.  When those cheap instruments are  finally gone, and the
higher quality ones dominate the scene, the "get-by"  attitude just won't
cut it, and then there will be a demand for  first-quality service, but too
few providing it.  I'm running into  that already.  I'm at the age where I'm
slacking off, spending more  time doing R&D, but less time in actual
service.  Too many times I  want to refer to someone else, but such a person
just isn't there.   Those who are, are either already loaded with work, or
else they are at the  age where they are cutting back just like I am.
This is exactly why we need to start working on finding our own
replacements. I'm not saying we want to flood the market, but we need more young
technicians to enter the industry.

Lets see how the FSU program works.  I really hope it does  work.  Anne,
please keep us informed.  I'm very interested to  learn how this all plays
out.

Along those lines, I am working on an article for the Economics Affairs
Committee series, that is going to address the dealer/technician relationship,
that might address one of the problems we have, that of low paying entry levels,
 and experienced techs leaving for greener pastures.

Sincerely,
Jim Ellis, RPT
Oak Ridge, Tennissee

Wim