[CAUT] tuning pin question

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:19:53 -0500

Well, they at least ought to update their catalog.

My experience with nickel plated pins has been that they look good for a
while, but the plating isn't very tough.  After just a few years, it tends
to wear away where the tuning lever makes contact, and the pin can rust
there in a humid environment (like MO or IL).  I think this would happen
more quickly in a university setting where the piano is tuned several times
a year.

I have no idea whether chromium is more durable than nickel, but that's why
I favor blued pins.  They just look better longer.

Ken Z.