The Curse of Gab (was: [CAUT] I am a genius)

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:44:31 EDT

In a message dated 8/15/2005 11:03:16 PM Central Standard Time,
marypianosmith@yahoo.com writes:

Oh gosh,  I can't resist jumping in here. I have often noticed how lonely
people seem to  be, particularly when I have been in their home for 1-2 hours.
They seem to  ened someone to talk to. So, if I possibly can, I listen. But I
agree, one  must set one's boundaries and stick to them. It's part of my life's
mission, I  guess, quite apart from my professional mission, to be kind when I
 can...

One of my regular customers called to have her piano tuned. When I got
there, she seemed rather depressed, but she led me to the piano, and I tuned it.
Afterwards I asked if she was all right. She told me her husband had just died
the week before. I asked her why she wanted her piano tuned, under the
circumstances. She said the piano gave her comfort. We wound up talking for  about
2 hours. Even though I had other appointments, I realized she  needed to talk.
I was honored to be able to spend this quality time with this  wonderful
lady.

There have been other instances where I wound up being late to my next
appointment because a customer "needed" to talk to me. Althought there  are times
where you just want the customer to shut up and leave you alone,  but, as Mary
said, there are times when listening to other people's  problems, and giving
them comfort, is part of our life's missions.

Wim