The Curse of Gab (was: [CAUT] I am a genius)

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:44:22 -0500

Well, we have run the gamut, so to speak.  No harm in it--but I think =
the original gripe was folks overstepping sensible boundaries and not =
allowing us to get our work done.  Yes, of course, there are times for =
kindness and listening--but not <every> time!

Although I sent out memos asking to not be disturbed while I worked, I =
still had very good rapport with the faculty.  Maybe that's the =
difference in working for a small university.  I talked with faculty =
members enough that sometimes I felt a little like a bartender.  I never =
repeated what I was told--except once when there were hard feelings =
escalating between two of them and I went to my closest friend on the =
faculty and told him what I knew about the situation.  He took it from =
there and the situation improved.

Now, at this huge auditorium, I find myself in situations where I'm =
working and the union stage hands will come in to do some job.  One =
time, they arrived to do some sort of backstage maintenance job, I =
smiled and said hello and got back to my work.  I was regulating a piano =
and I had a lot to do.  Occasionally they would walk past, make a =
comment and I would respond, but I didn't pursue more conversation since =
I was intent on getting my work done.  In the meantime, they finished =
their work, but before they left, one said, "You were pretty quiet while =
working there and I know what that means!"   Well, I didn't know what he =
meant, but I smiled and said, "See you next time!" =20

Hmmm, what <did> it mean?! =20

Barbara Richmond, RPT

  ----- Original Message -----=20