The Curse of Gab (was: [CAUT] I am a genius)

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:43:40 -0700

Jeff Tanner:

"What is business, after all? An exchange of a service for money? If =
that is what we have come to, then that is a really sad indication of =
where we are as a society."

Yes, an exchange of services for money is *exactly* what a business is. =
Getting paid for performing a service is "sad"? I can think of far, far =
sadder situations :-). (I know you really mean something else, but then =
so did I in your less than charitable interpretation.)

Of course, conducting business successfully doesn't preclude other kinds =
of exchanges, but exchanging service/products for money is its essential =
characteristic. My complaint about compulsive talkers, or what I call =
"compulsive self-pontificators," is addressed to those whose =
loquaciousness interferes with conducting business, not to those with =
whom one is enjoying a friendly conversation (incidentally, the =
compulsive talkers are usually the least interesting, in part because =
they're really aiming to have a monologue, not a conversation).=20

I'm reminded of the old movie, "Mr. Blanding Builds His Dreamhouse," =
where Gary Grant is consulting with an architect about the design of his =
house, and won't let the architect get a word in edgewise. The results =
were risibly predictable.

Jeff O.