[CAUT] protecting pianos

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:19:48 -0500

Hello, All,

For many years I have waged a campaign to teach students and faculty to
"respect the pianos."  This "Piano are not Tables" mantra does work, not
perfectly, but better than nothing.  Enclosed are several sheets that I
have used over the past few years (.pdf, Apple, and MS Word versions).
I put a copy on every classroom and practice piano at the beginning of
the school year, and then police the practice rooms for a week or two to
let students know I'm serious.  The documents are supposed to be
somewhat funny/entertaining so that I can get students attention and
hold it long enough for them to read the document.  Students have
actually noticed and look forward to the renewed campaign every year.
Also students in one of the music fraternities regularly volunteer to
clean pianos (clean keys, dust the inside/outside of grands, do a little
vacuuming).

This may not be something for you or your school, but I thought I'd pass
it along, for a little entertainment, if nothing else.  I've been
sending these to Alan Crane for a number of years, so, Alan, here's the
latest epistle.  Enjoy.

Richard West
University of Nebraska

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...