[CAUT] [Files] Re: Nossaman D

Paul Kupelian pkupeli1@twcny.rr.com
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:51:33 -0400

Hey Ron,

Is that a new method for setting key dip with the kitten?

Great stuff.

Paul=20

Paul Kupelian

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of =
Ron
Nossaman
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:13 PM
To: files@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] [Files] Re: Nossaman D

=20

We just got a piano back from Ron Nossaman's shop last Friday.  It used =
be a Steinway D.  It is now a Nossaman D.  What a wonderful sounding
instrument! =20

=20

Thanks Dave. This was the first time I'd done this extensive a set of
modifications on a 9' piano, and the results were more dramatic than I'd
really expected. I expect to get dramatic improvement from smaller =
pianos
with modifications, but I expected this one to be just a much cleaner =
and
better balanced version of what we're used to hearing. Separating the
bridges and adding the transition brought the whole bottom half of the =
scale
to life. The low tenor and low bass being no longer clamped to one =
another
by a ring bridge construction lets them move separately to good effect. =
It's
very difficult to aurally tell where the transitions are between bass =
and
tenor, and between wrapped bichords and plain trichord unisons.

=20

Gone are the irritating wound trichords, all the false beats and the =
killer
octave.  Now it has a tenor bridge with 5 wound bichords, a new bass =
bridge
disconnected from the treble bridge, a large bass cut-off bar, a treble
fish, 22 ribs, and many other enhancements.  I hope Ron will jump in =
here
and give whatever technical details he wants to give. =20

=20

=20

I had some parts left over. Among the deleted features were the tuned =
rear
duplexes, the tuned front duplexes, the bell, and the acoustic dowel =
plate
suspension system. I did some bracing and mass loading of the belly rail =
in
the treble, and got a pretty fair sustain out of the treble. Instead of =
the
usual 47mm-50mm C-8, it now has a C-8 of 53mm. There's still a circle of
sound of sorts, but I tried to keep it between the string plane and the
soundboard assembly instead of letting it run wild over the whole piano.

=20

A semi-log scale progression on the long bridge, with real doglegs in =
the
bridge at the breaks to maintain the progression, makes tuning nicer. =
Not
that it means anything in particular, but the bass bridge and it's end
extensions ended up being longer than the longest rib in the piano. That
doesn't happen too often with a 20 note bass.

=20

You know, the usual heretical stuff we've been talking about on the list =
for
some years.

=20

Ronsen Wurzen felt hammers and I left the final voicing for Dave, rather
than impose my tastes on the owners, so I haven't heard it entirely
finished.

=20

He even has some pictures of various parts of the redesign I hope he'll
post.

=20

=20

More than anyone could possibly want to see, most likely.

=20

The new back action now has capstans under each underlever and the keys =
have
an additional maple plate on the top of the key to help reduce key flex. =
am elated with the whole thing.  There are new ideas in piano =
construction
even though not from our piano factories.  The Steinway D has been
redesigned 4 times since its first introduction in 1859 as the Style 4.  =
The
last changes Steinway made were in 1915 so surely that's modern enough!

=20

=20

It is, for Steinway. This piano is now a former Steinway - a
Frankensteinway, I think John Hartman called the type.

=20

This is the way a piano should sound IMHO!

=20

=20

Thank you VERY much. Now I can start on my B for Rochester next summer.

=20

=20

Photos:

=20