[CAUT] Harpsichord tuning tips

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:13:41 -0600

At 12:56 PM 12/2/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Harpsichords I service have one of two kinds of tuning pins. They are
>either "zither" pins (a mini version of a piano tuning pins, with threads
>that go into the wrestplank and a hole to secure the wire) or the kind of
>pin that Joe Garrett recently described, but without threads (gives new
>meaning to the apparent misnomer "tuning hammer").
>
>Alan Eder

Most of the harpsichords we have here don't have becket holes either... ;-}

>From: Andrew Anderson <andrew@andersonmusic.com>
>
>Do harpsichords have regular tuning pins?
>
>Do they behave quite differently from pianos?
>
>  I guess the mechanism is different so the "test-blow" is out. Would
> rubbing/stretching the strings with a rag be equivalent?

No. The tension is not that high, but close enough to breaking strength to
risk popping strings by excessive pressure. Think of the harpsichord as a
big guitar. Unless they are new strings, the pitch generally stays where
you put it w/o "test-blows".

I've posted my favorite method of replacing strings on tapered tuning pins
(the type w/o holes) in the past, but could send it privately if you
wish/need it.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.