[CAUT] Bostons

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:34:11 -0800

At 07:55 AM 12/7/2005, Ric Brekne  wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>We just got a source of Bostons here in the area. I havent seen
>these for a while and find that the two uprights I've looked at seem
>very subdued.  That is to say they dont seem to have much volume...
>as in loudness.  Hammers seem hard enough... too hard really for my
>tastes  a bit pingy. Regulation is close enough so that it should be
>plenty useable.  Brand new 126 cm models.
>
>I was wondering if those of you with lots of recent experience with
>Bostons could comment on the general sound picture these instruments
>have.  Seems to me these two are just plain too quiet.
>
>Thanks
>RicB

Ric,

Yes those Boston 126's do tend to be kind of quiet for their size. So
do the 132's for that matter. I prepped  lots of them back when I was
working for the local dealership, and the salesmen were always after
me to liven them up or boost the volume or something. Very
disappointing. The 118 also are very uneven - some are decent enough,
some are just too quiet and dull. We had four of those on loan from
the dealer here at San Francisco State - and sent them all back. The
two in a faculty office were always a source of voicing complaints
(we haven't heard a peep from the same guy after we gave him a Yamaha
P-22). I would have considered maybe keeping one of the four, but not
for what they cost...  We discontinued the arrangement with the
dealer after that...

Israel Stein