[CAUT] Bostons

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 18:04:13 -0700

On 12/7/05 4:07 PM, "Jim Busby" <jim_busby@byu.edu> wrote:

> Hey Fred,
>=20
> What about the shape? Wouldn=B9t that only flatten the crown?
>=20
> =20

We=B9re talking a very minor zip of a strip of pretty fine paper, and with
hammers held lightly against the strings. Like a wee shoeshine. Yes. Okay,
it will flatten the crowns =B3a bit.=B2 But not so you would notice. Mostly it
will only sand the bit that the =B3high=B2 string is pressing against, same as
with Joe Goss=B9 tool. Except you didn=B9t have to go to the trouble to find
which string to sand.
    Pull action, get out drift and hammer, tap strings lightly below bar,
replace action. Five minutes. Take sandpaper and block of wood, zip, zip.
Five more minutes. Improvement: noticeable (but you have to tune to hear it
<g>).
You can be just as fussy with mating upright hammers as you can with grands
and the results are about as dramatic. No one really wants to take the time
with most verticles though.
Exactly. To do it right, you have to do fine travel and squaring of hammers
first, yadda, yadda. A quick fix will at least get you closer to ideal.
Regards,
Fred