[CAUT] HT suggestions

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:27:54 -0500

Nope.  I came across them in Dr. Jorgensen's book trying to find an
HT that would have been appropriate for a Haydn trio sometime back.
Graupner was first oboist in Haydn's orchestra in the London
symphonies of 1791 and 1792 and later immigrated to the US.  He
became an American citizen in 1807, and was a founder of the American
Haydn Society and a major figure in the promotion of orchestral music
in America.  He owned a music store in Boston and also sold pianos,
publishing his instructions for tuning in 1819 (which seemed to have
been based on Bland's 1790 temperament).  I didn't have time to read
much on Farey (can't check that book out), except that his
temperament, which I believe predated Graupner's, was closer to ET
even than Graupner's.  Both temperaments would easily pass the RPT
exam for ET with a score of 100, with no offset as great as one cent,
although Graupner acknowledged that less skilled tuners would have
difficulty achieving the proper results.  That's right, it was simply
the lack of tuner's skill preventing composers from having access to
something indistinguishable from our best modern attempts at equal
temperament 70 years before Helmholtz!  There were others in that
time which had similar tendencies toward ET, being based on the
tuning instructions published by John Bland in 1790, and at least for
me, these two in particular, given Graupner's close relationship to
Haydn, indicate some evidence that composers at least as early as the
Classical period perhaps did desire the versatility of ET for the
piano if it could be achieved.

You know me: devil's advocate >:-)
Jeff

On Dec 8, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Avery Todd wrote:

> New ones on me. Or do you mean Farley. As in: http://
> www.farleyspianos.com
>
> Avery
>
> At 01:56 PM 12/7/2005, you wrote:
>
>> On Dec 7, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:
>>
>>>  I'd say Valotti is a bit pungent for Beethoven, and would
>>> recommend something on the lines of John Preston, Peter Prelleur,
>>> Early 18th Century, Representative 18th Century, or Broadwood
>>> Best (Ellis tuner #4) instead.
>>
>> Why not Graupner or Farey?
>> :-)
>> JT