[CAUT] Steinway action removal

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:53:51 EST

In a message dated 12/9/2005 8:16:15 AM Central Standard Time,
hullfam5@yahoo.com writes:

David  & David,

Thanks for the reply.
For some reason  I don't  exactly use the term key
cover. I'm not picturing this.  Are you using  the term
key cover to speak of the  fallboard?

Bob

Bob

I'll answer for both Davids, and add another thing. Yes, the key cover is
the fall board. But there is another thing that will prevent the action from
sliding out. Underneath the keybed, up where the lyre is attached to the bottom
of the piano, is where the tubes from the player mechanism fed through the
keybed up to the hammers. These tubes were attached to several blocks of wood.
One of those blocks is also used to shift the action. That block is attached
to  the bottom of the keyframe, and has to be removed before the action can be
taken  out. It's a pain the rear, but it's the only way the shift will work
on  these explayers.

Wim

Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician