[CAUT] Harpsichord

Andrew Anderson andrew@andersonmusic.com
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:30:22 -0600

I checked out the TAMIU harpsichord in its storage closet last week.

It is a "PS Purvis 19 Toronto 69".  It has ~4.5 octaves.  There are
two levers where the piano fall-board would be.  The one on the left
actuates a rail with felt blocks against the strings near the front
bearing.  This seems intended to moderate the tone/volume of the
instrument.  The one on the right is jammed.  It seems to reach into
the action.
I'll be tuning this just before the concert tomorrow to "Handel's WT"
as available on my Verituner.  The conductor's only specification is
to keep it at A4=440 for the wind instruments.  Any enlightenment
regarding the lever on the right would be helpful.

It appears to need some regulation.  Some of the, ah, plectrums?
engage the strings more deeply then others.  For me, a noticeable
change in touch.  I probably won't get that deep into the instrument
just before the concert but...incorrigible perfectionist that I am...

Andrew Anderson