[CAUT] from piano technician,Thailand

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:00:10 -0600

> I would tap the bridge pin first anyway.  Tone is improved the most if
> the pin can bottom out in the hole.  Then you can deal with whatever
> flagpoling is going on at the top with CA if necessary.  I never settle
> (tap) the string on the bridge.  That deepens the indention on the edge
> of the bridge and makes things worse in the long run.  Think that was
> Ron who pointed that out.
>
> Jeff

I also pointed out that it typically takes over 10 lbs force (not
psi) to slide a string along a bridge pin, so tapping pins in is the
rough equivalent of seating strings directly with a light blow of a
10 lb hammer. You'd likely do less damage just seating the string,
and still wouldn't fix anything. Also, when you seat the pin in the
hole, it will be pushed right back up where it was by the shrinking
bridge height with the next dry cycle, so you haven't accomplished a
thing.

Just a couple of reminders.

Ron N